Saturday, May 11, 2013

ask and you shall recieve


my anniversary present this year was a sewing machine! 

I was, and am still so excited about it! its not the most fancy machine, but its perfect for me to learn on. I grew up around my mother sewing and two of my sisters picked it up too, so usually I just had to find one of them if I ever needed something sewn up. However, that has not continued to be true now that I live many many hours and states apart from my family. For some reason though, I would still hold on to things that needed to be fixed. I had collected a nice little pile of projects that I had no way to actually tackle. I tried a few of them by hand, but really, how much can you really do by hand? Not much when you've got a baby and many other more important things vying for your care and attention. This machine is really what I needed!

 My (immensely small) prior knowledge helped me to get in the swing of things and I've sewn a few things already. mostly just cloth wipes for Cecil, and mostly because I'm still learning how to make my seams as straight as possible, but I have been able to sew Christian's patches on for his boyscout uniform (by the way, he's Scout Master over here) and if I get really brave maybe I can sew some jumpers for Cecil and baby Henry 

DISCLAIMER: Henry is not his official name yet, but its what I call him cause Christian isn't giving me any suggestions

2 comments:

Brittany said...

What an awesome present Ali! I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time, with the way it runs in your genes :-)

LaRee said...

Good for you!...even though sewing isn't my favorite thing I'm glad I learned how, and can mend something if I need to.