Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Julies Wedding Cake

I can't remember if I already told you about my cake resolution for this year, but I told myself 
I would make 10 bakery quality cakes. 
So far I've made one.
 Considering half the year is over, it may seem that I am slacking, 
but trust me, once birthday season hits, I will have ample opportunity to catch up. next week even I'll be
 making a cake for Cecil and Henry each so we're basically to 3 already. 

But here is my big news

On August 9th one of my BEST friends is getting married!

and I offered to make the cake.

because I am ambitious.

and because I love her.

I'm simultaneously so excited and so stressed about it. Right now it's mostly
deciding on different cake recipes, frosting recipes, and filling recipes, then test tasting them 
all while practicing decorating techniques.
 Also, lots and lots of butter.
 I want to look good for her wedding but I'm afraid I am likely to gain 10 pounds before August arrives.

I've devised a diet plan though. 

Send any and all leftover cake with Christian to work, lest it find a new home in the garbage can to avoid my mouth and ultimately my waist.

2 days ago I made a 6" practice cake. It was a  made from scratch White cake 
that would be sturdy enough to stack, and by golly I found a winner. 
It was definitely better the next day.
That could have been because it had gone fully back to room temperature (cakes are never
 as good when cold) but I also suspect that the lemon curd filling had time 
to get acquainted with those cake layers. And that frosting had turned into creamy clouds of vanilla.

 So basically,
my morning slice for breakfast was a much more dreamy bite then the freshly finished, still slightly chilled cake from the night before.

I did start to stress out when it came to frosting the cake and making perfectly smooth sides and 
sharp edges from the top. I got as close as I could to a 
perfect professional look but still wasn't happy with it so I turned to the Internet.
 The source of all things helpful when you just want to know how to do things yourself.
 I watched a couple You Tube tutorials and realized which tools I would need to get a better finished product. 

So here is to my first successful cake recipe testing and hoping for more of the same for my Chocolate cake trial this weekend.

updates to follow...

No comments: