Thursday, July 10, 2014

Boys Birthday party and more cakes

On the 5th of July I decided to throw a combined birthday party for the two little men in my life. 
We had some family who were in town for the long weekend and it was just the perfect time
 to test yet another cake recipe!

I whipped up an Angel food cake, so that even if the chocolate cake was a let down
we would still have something delicious to eat. luckily for all of us
the chocolate cake was a big ol delicious success

I was unsure about it because the base for this recipe is a box cake mix, but with extra ingredients
 like flour, vanilla, and even some sour cream added in to enhance the flavor and texture. 
This cake is SO MOIST!
And it's sturdy enough to stack! It would be a delicious wedding cake for sure.
All that's left is for Julie to taste some sample cakes this weekend and tell me which ones 
tickle her fancy.

I'm thinking of making these flavor combinations 

chocolate cake, with raspberry filling
white cake with raspberry filling
white cake with lemon curd filling 
white cake with chocolate mouse filling

and I'll make a Vanilla Buttercream frosting and a Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting
they are both delicious, but have different texture and a slightly different flavor profile.

note:: I realize that I only am providing one flavor option with the chocolate cake, but the raspberry 
filling was such a perfect pair with the chocolate I just don't know if I'll ever eat chocolate cake another way.
Of course, I'll do anything Julie asks for so we'll see what she thinks this weekend!

this weekend is going to be my first time smoothing fondant onto a cake
if I can't get it right I might just have to die so I really
 need you to wish me luck. 

hopefully I can take some pictures for the next post!

1 comment:

life at mono lake said...

now i am craving chocolate cake, with raspberry filling. mmm